Friday, March 01, 2013

It is not about me, it is all about God.

For 20 years I have been serving God as a volunteer with Pacific Youth Correctional Ministries. This ministry is dedicated to bringing the Gospel to youth that are incarcerated in correctional facilities (Juvenile Hall) mostly in Southern California but also around the world by training chaplains and volunteers anywhere there has been an interest.

For over 40 years I have searched for the place that God wanted me to be and do what God wanted me to do. I have served as an Worship Leader, Intern Pastor, Church Board Member, Bible Study Leader, Children's Worship Leader and now Chaplain at Orangewood Children and Family Center in Orange County.

In my last post I wrote about losing my job and being unemployed at the age of 60. Today I have come to discover a glaring flaw in my idea about my ministry, my service to God and my future. It is so simple but it took a crisis engineered by God to reveal it, to me at least.

It is not about me, it is all about God.

OK, you heard that before, and so have I so many times. I cannot tell you what it means to your ministry or service to God but I can tell you what I am hearing right now. In all these years I have searched the answer to the question 'How does God want to use me?' You know what, that is not God's number one question for my life.

God is not so worried about me, I am secure in His forgiveness, sealed in His love and destined for His home. God's desire is not to use me, my talents, my gifts, my whatever. His desire is for those who are eternally lost and need to find the kind of relationship I have with Him.

God is saying to me, 'it is not about you, it is about those thousands of kids locked up in juvenile halls across the country, it is about the thousands of kids living in emergency shelters across the nation.' This is where God has placed me and I think God is using this time in my life to clear up my fuzzy vision and get my eyes off myself and on to what is really important to Him, not to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home